Sunday, July 11, 2021

Walls have Ears




Note by Mom (Mary Ann Wray)

 I found this hand written poem (please see below) in our son's personal journal the DAY AFTER I arranged some of his belongings on a shelf against a large wall in the finished basement of our home. At the time we lived in Pickerington, Ohio. I had been going through a box of his belongings that Bob retrieved from the trunk of his wrecked car. He had just passed away in a car accident a few weeks before. From the looks of his handwriting he must have written it more recently than many of his other writings.
  I emptied everything I had on this shelf and replaced them with some of Sam's personal belongings from infancy through adulthood. There was “one empty hallow space” that remained unfilled on this shelf at the time he referenced it in the reading of his poem. I was in shock an awe as I read it. Bob and I then placed the framed American flag that draped his casket in this special spot-the middle of the top shelf.
  The other American Flag pictured on the bottom shelf, was Bob’s Dad’s who served in the Army in WW II. It was already on the shelf. I believe the timing of this discover was ironic and prophetic.
  The lesson in all of this is that tomorrow is promised to no one. Sam knew Jesus as his personal Lord and Savior from a very young age and loved the Lord. His life wasn't perfect, none of our is, but he knew where he was going to spend eternity. Do you? 

Read the Gospel of John 3 to learn how if you're not sure. You don't want to gamble with eternity. We all will face it one day! 


Memories on the Wall
by Samuel Paul Wray


The walls I see do have ears
They come in frames, frames that hold captive, stories that can only be relived
With a child like imagination
There is a shelf on which past possessions lie
They speak of where I have been, where I have gone, remind me of what I have done.
There is an empty hollow space on this shelf yet to be filled
I now ask myself, "what" will I put in this hollow space?
Will I regret what may fill this space?
In the end I'll know it was my choice.
In dead silence, no one around, alone alas.
I ponder what my future may hold, the possibilities it can possess.
I try to imagine everything is over and the shelf is full.
As I sit dreaming of the days of old, will I feel satisfied?
Did I get what I wanted out of all of it?
Did I seize every moment, accomplish my goals?
Did I make enough goals or none hard enough?
In my dream of daylight pondering I see myself content with my shelf.
There is a smile on my face, accompanied by a small tear
For the days in which I was not so graceful in my step.
The walls I see do have ears, and as I tell them where I have been,
What I have done, and of the things yet to come,
I want them to speak of a legacy of a life worth living
And not just to be Memories on the Wall.


Comments


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Contemporary Parable of Modern-Day Wizardry

  A Contemporary Parable of Modern-Day Wizardry   Mary Ann Wray “ Whoever falsely boasts of gifts [he does not give] is like clouds a...